Saturday, April 2, 2016
Knitting: alpaca socks.
Finally, a finished project! It seems like it's been a long time, and it has been two months since I shared one. These are plain vanilla socks, though I did make a few changes. When I first started knitting, my tension was very tight, but over the last couple of years it's loosened a lot, which means that my most recently knitted socks are slightly baggy.
These were a trial pair, and thankfully the changes worked well! I still used the same basic pattern I always use. I just went down a needle size (to size 1 DPNs, the tiniest needles I've ever used). Since I was worried about them being too tight, I also cast on 68 stitches rather than 64 (more notes in my project page linked below). These socks seem snug and denser than my others, but I won't be able to see a real difference until I've worn them more. :)
I absolutely love the way this yarn knitted up. Variegated yarn is hit or miss, and I've always had problems with it pooling in ugly ways. But I'm so pleased with how these turned out! The yarn is Misti Alpaca Hand Paint sock yarn (Marino colorway), which is an alpaca, merino, nylon, and silk blend. I'd never used it before, and it seemed splitty at first, but I ended up loving it. It has a bit of a fuzz to it because it's 50% alpaca. As long as it wears well, I would definitely knit with this yarn again.
Ravelry project page.