Thursday, November 5, 2015
Sewing: Cinderella dress.
My niece turned two a couple of weeks ago, and I made this Cinderella play dress for her birthday gift. Poly-satin and tulle are definitely not my usual fabrics for sewing...honestly, I can't remember that I've ever used either of them before. While they were slippery and strange to sew, the end result was so adorable that it was worth it. :)
Mom had thought about buying Stella a play dress, so we looked at some at Target. But not only were they expensive (between $15 and $30), the quality was shoddy. They're not even hemmed...everything is just serged and a lot of them were already coming unraveled (and they haven't even been worn yet!). I'm far from a great seamstress, but I figured even I could do a neater job than that.
I used Simplicity 1303, view C, though mine is a simpler version. I left off the belt and peplum, and though I did trim the bodice with sparkly ribbon, mine is plainer than the pattern's version. I didn't want to insert a zipper in a play dress, so I made some (slightly crooked) tabs so I could use Velcro. The bodice and underskirt are light blue poly-satin, and the sleeves and overskirt are blue tulle. The pattern was on sale for 99 cents, and altogether I think the materials came to less than $15. All of the seams are finished, most of them encased in bias tape.
Even though it was fiddly at times, I enjoyed sewing this sweet little dress. :)